Monday, July 16, 2007

I Like Mike

MikeHuckabee.com - I Like Mike!

I am going to get into a very touchy topic here: politics. I do not claim affiliation with any party and have no intentions of ever doing so. Independent I am, and independent I plan to remain. I will vote for the politician who best matches my convictions, not caring with which party he affiliates himself. (I must say that I do not believe there will ever be a Democrat who will gain my vote!)

Having said that, I must tell you that the current field of Presidential candidates has looked very discouraging. The Democrats don't even come close to meeting my standards: a candidate who has a realistic plan for reducing excessive government spending, is pro-life, is committed to protecting heterosexual marriage, has creative solutions for the economic difficulties that plague our nation ... am I really asking that much?

The "top tier" of Republican hopefuls is equally depressing:
  • Mitt Romney is a Mormon who sees no problem with allowing for abortion in certain situations. Chuck Todd of MSNBC had this to say about Romney:
"In fact, some Democrats worry privately more about Romney than McCain, because they fear he is a Republican Bill Clinton -- that he's impossible to pigeon-hole ideologically."
  • Rudy Giuliani supports abortion "rights" - a fact which immediately negates any chance he would get my vote. Added 7/18/2007 - According to MSNBC, Mr. Giuliani also supports gun-control (a stance that I find patently ludicrous - let's disarm all of our law-abiding citizens so that law-breakers have free reign to do as they please!) and, even more importantly, gay rights. Quoting from the article:
"On gay rights, Giuliani backs benefits for same-sex couples and says "gays should be protected." In 1997, he signed a bill creating domestic-partnership benefits in New York City. "We should be tolerant, fair, open and we should understand the rights that all people have in our society," he said recently.

While campaigning, Giuliani has been careful to declare his opposition to gay marriage, saying: "Marriage should be between a man and a woman. It should remain that way."

However, he says, at this point, he doesn't see the need for a federal constitutional amendment defining marriage that way..."
  • John McCain lost my respect and my vote when he became so vitriolic in the past election campaign. I am pleased that he desires to effect the overturn of Roe v. Wade as well as protect the sanctity of marriage. If it came down to voting for the "lesser of two evils," I suppose I could bring myself to vote for McCain.
With all these strike-outs, will I have to resort to voting for the least "evil" candidate? Actually, I am really hoping that I won't. I recently became aware of Mike Huckabee, considered the cream of the second tier crop. A former Southern Baptist minister, Gov. (AR) Huckabee is staunchly pro-life, pro-marriage, pro-Israel, and pro-family. Here is what The Hotline, "the National Journal's daily briefing on politics", has to say about Huckabee:
"...Huckabee is not an ideologue. He's a social conservative with a stellar voting record who worries about seeming mean or punitive. He's a political conservative who is a functional pragmatist when it comes to economic issues. Dare we say: he's a 'compassionate conservative?' "
Is Mike Huckabee the perfect Presidential candidate? That is a question that each must answer for himself. The more I see and read about him, the more I personally like him. You will have to take your own look at Gov. Huckabee's stance on the issues and decide how you feel about him.

12 comments:

DR said...

Great Post!

Revka said...

Thanks! I appreciate your taking the time to let me know what you thought. I hope Gov. Huckabee makes it.

Daddy Sloane said...

Great article. We hope to see you around the bloggin for Huck campfire!

Warren
http://sloanereality.blogspot.com

Revka said...

Thanks, Daddy Sloane! I plan to be there and intend to post about him at my other blogs as well. I like your idea of donating a buck for every pound we think Michael Moore should lose. I can't stand that guy!

Jon said...

Good post. I appreciate your insight. Please help me and others "pray" for Mike. I just started another blog "I Pray for Mike" that provides suggestive prayers for Gov. Huckabee and the campaign. I would appreciate your input and comments on your prayers for him and the campaign.

http://www.iprayformike.blogspot.com/

http://www.huckabee08.blogspot.com/

Revka said...

Jon, thanks for stopping by. I think your idea of praying for Mike is great and is probably the only way he will make it. I'm there with you! I'll check out your blog; thanks for sharing.

huck fan said...

Mike Huckabee is definitely my pick for President 2008!

We, here in Iowa, need as many Christians as possible to come out to the Straw Poll in Ames, Iowa on August 11th! If Huckabee doesn't fair well at the Straw Poll, he will be forced to back out of the race. I believe he can come in 2nd and hopefully 1st at the Straw Poll!!! Even if people can only stop by to vote and then leave, we need EVERY Iowa vote we can get!!! (I believe voting is from 10am to 6 pm)

Go to www.mikehuckabee.com to get a FREE pre-ticket to the Straw Poll! Free food and entertainment (the Gov. will be playing with his band that day "Capitol Offense"). It's sure to be a fun time, but more importantly, a chance for Christians to have their voice heard about what we want for our nation!!!

Thanks for your post!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Huck Fan! Thanks for posting your comment with the great info. Since I am not a resident of Iowa, my part in this straw poll is pretty much limited to prayer, but I will create a separate post for that info in case any of my readers are from Iowa.

Thanks again for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

Christian said...

I third (or fourth!) the "hurray's!" for you joining the Huckabee team!

He truly is an amazing candidate in an otherwise lackluster field!

I'm not as socially conservative as many of his supporters, but I am a huge FairTax fan and I appreciate a candidate who is strong, yet humble; well-spoken, yet able to listen. That's Mike!

~Christian
www.savetalkradio.com

Revka said...

Hi, Christian, and thank you very much for the warm welcome.

I'm glad that, though you are "not as socially conservative as many of his supporters," you have still seen what a great candidate Huckabee is. I hope he gains more supporters like you. :)

Thanks again for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know much about Gov. Huckabee before I saw him on Fox News a few weeks ago. I have to say I was so impressed with him as an individual. His views on family, healthcare, tax reform.

I was wondering who I would go for, but after that interview I have to say, there is no one better.

He has done an incredible job in the State of Arkansas, he has shown all of us we can lose weight and lead healthier lives, he knows how to foster entrepreneurship which builds a healthy economic system.

I have to say I'm sold!

Revka said...

Anonymous, I'm sold, too! I do wish he could get more media coverage so more people can hear about him. I despise "our" media - it's not really our media! They have their own agendas they promote!!!

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.